Friday, May 04, 2012

Drew's EMMA FROST Interview

Back in 2002 or so, I drew most of what was going to be an X-MEN: ICONS series featuring Emma Frost, The White Queen. As I was approaching the middle of the third issue, I was asked to stop work on the book when Marvel decided to set the mini-series aside in favor of an on-going EMMA FROST series. The ICONS series, written by Sean McKeever and inked by Rick Ketcham was never published, and recently, after several years, the artwork was returned to me. Our ICONS mini was a cool project. Sean had written a compelling and elegant story, and Rick's inks over my pencils were just gorgeous. I wish the book had been published, but sometimes these things happen. Ultimately, I have absolutely no complaints. I was paid for my work, and I learned a lot artistically while at work on the book. I just finished an interview with Aimee LaPlant at www.emmafrostfiles.com about the unpublished ICONS book. Here's the link if anyone might like to check it out: http://emmafrostfiles.com/behind-x-men-icons-emma-frost-drew-edward-johnson-speaks-about-the-unpublished-series/ The article includes several of my pencilled pages from the book, and a look at what might have been. Big thanks to Aimee and www.emmafrostfiles.com for giving this work a chance to be viewed. Also---Please don't forget that I'll be appearing at NUCLEAR COMICS in Laguna Niguel this saturday, May 5th from 10am-2pm for Free Comic Book day. The following Saturday, May 12th, I will be appearing at the Long Beach Comic Con's One Day Comics Expo at the Long Beach Convention Center. Please drop by one or both appearances and say Hi.

No comments: