Monday, August 09, 2010

Step By Step: Commission


Here's step one of a new commission I've started. It's of Tara Chace from the Oni Press comic, Queen & Country.
This is my initial underdrawing that I did on a piece of typing paper---really just hacking out the pose and the plan for the background on a separate piece of paper in order to avoid ruining my bristol board with a ton of erasure.
I scanned in the initial drawing and worked out some anatomy mistakes by messing with 'em on the computer a little. Next, I'll light box it to the actual art board, where it'll be worked out some more.
As far as the pose, I wanted to do something unusual with a commission of the character. I google image searched Tara Chace, and most of the time, folks seem to draw her in a standing pose, wearing her regular outfit, and holding a rifle. I wanted to try and capture a story moment, a good "spy moment", where she's pulling a pistol from under her pillow on an assassin trying to sneak in her window.
I'll post the next step soon, and take it all the way through the finished piece.

No comments: